In the last few years, I’ve worked with several different coaches to help me move my business to the next level. I confess, I wholeheartedly USED to belong to the cynical crowd whose opinions on the coaching industry ranged from “I know how to do this; they don’t know my industry” to balking at financial investments, etc. So the question arises, why did I start working with coaches, albeit, kicking and screaming at the beginning? I was stuck (oh yes!) in inertia or in that cybernetic loop where one takes the same actions but expecting different results. Or, in my case, sensing intuitively that something is not right but needed guidance rather than continuing to waste time, effort and resources. I was seeing movement in my business but not enough! I decided to get off my high horse and get help.
Good coaching involves helping professionals and lawyers get unstuck from their dilemmas by defining root causes and expanding their capacity to take effective action and achieve desired goals.
Here are my own criteria of what makes a good coach:
- Less analysis and more practical.
- Sound COMMON sense regarding business rather than having amassed credentials. More people smarts rather than book smarts.
- Understanding human nature.
- Transformation not just incremental change.
- Helps overcome self-imposed obstacles. Conquering the inner critic and negative beliefs that stop anyone from succeeding
- Accountability. Keeping one focused, in the era of SM Focus is CRITICAL.
- An unconditional champion. No b.s./nonsense. Someone who believes in them when they are having difficulty believing in themselves.
- Fluidity. Ability to act to market conditions and opportunities.
Fast forward to almost two years of working with several different coaches, a good coach, in my opinion, is essentially a partner/catalyst in unleashing your business potential.
So the question remains will you get help? Would love to hear feedback and comments.
Sign up for the Rainmakers Roundtable
The Rainmakers Roundtable is new business development resource for lawyers and other professionals who want to take their business to the next level. Please join us in our Facebook page if you want daily tips and resources related to rainmaking, legal PR, and professional development. We also encourage you to sign up for our mailing so that you will receive further updates about the service. Just click on the link below: