We frequently get law firms who’ve won litigation asking us how to get the word out in the marketplace. Below are a couple of suggestions to get firms started:
- Media Outreach – If it’s not too old, it may be news. Identify publications that might be interested in the story, and create pitches designed to interest their readers.
- Client Communications – Include a story about the win in client newsletters, eAlerts, etc. Make this a news you can use. Is there a reason you won that is useful to other clients?
- Business Development - Draft a concise description of the win to include in marketing and business development materials, such as pitches. Don’t forget to spread the word internally about the win and forward the pre-written description, so other colleagues can include material into their pitches, thus taking advantage of cross-selling opportunities.
- Firm News – Take the same description and add it to the client’s collection of news that it shares with clients in its annual report, if it does one.
- Events – Go on the road! How did the client win? If there’s an interesting story to tell, this might lead to the development of a core message to share via webinars, seminars, etc.
Please don’t forget to get the client’s permission first before any publicity work is executed. Finally consider getting help with the initial publicity plan, it will help you time, money and valuable resources.